Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The extraordinary jungle journey, east to west through the Kanuku Mountains in Guyana  

Dave
 Dave
(@dave)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Surrounded by deadly snakes, stung by 'very nasty' wasps and stalked by jaguars: British explorer completes 253-mile trek through 'ridiculously dense' uncharted Amazon jungle

Lucy said: ‘I faced a pretty unattractive wasp sting - we were always having to run away from swarms of wasps'

The extraordinary jungle journey, east to west through the Kanuku Mountains in Guyana, took 50 days, with Lucy explaining that for 17 days they faced forest and swamp so ‘ridiculously dense’ they would only move a few metres every hour – and didn’t see sunlight.

Scary moments? ‘We had so many scary moments,’ the 29-year-old Royal Geographical Society member told MailOnline Travel. ‘The first one that springs to mind is our encounters with deadly snakes. Every single day we were surrounded by them. We must have passed thousands of them.

‘My snake gaiters protected me from a deadly bite from a labaria [a pit viper] and one of our team almost fell on to the infamous bushmaster snake… twice. We were so far from rescue and moments like this were chilling and I’m so thankful we got through.’

Click To Read More

Nero Prakash
(@nero-prakash)
Famed Member

That place is not good for tourism. Hiking has always been my ruling passion. It's the joy of my heart and the sunshine of my existence, but not that place with all the snakes and alligators.

ReplyQuote
Share: