Notifications
Clear all

BACKDAM BOOK CLUB (BBC)  

Page 9 / 9

vicpandal
(@vicpandal)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @prashad

@vicpandal dictatorship, genocide and luxury western goods for the communist party leaders and their families. That is communism.

No. That's a dictatorship or a monarchy. Be definition, communism, in which all economic resources belongs to everyone, abhors dictatorships. I'm not advocating for one or the other. Just trying to get you to understand you should be knowledgeable on a topic before postulating.

ReplyQuote
Gilbakka
(@gilbakka)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Finished reading WALDEN by US essayist, philosopher and poet Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862). In 1845 Thoreau built a log cabin by himself near Walden Pond in Concord Massachusetts and lived in it for two years. Simple living in natural surroundings. WALDEN is his memoir of that time of his life. It was first published in 1854.
I am most impressed by this man's deep knowledge of plant and animal life, as well as the topography of Concord. Within the book are reflections on philosophical questions and references to the Bhagavad Gita.

HONOUR BEFORE MONEY

vicpandal liked
ReplyQuote
Gilbakka
(@gilbakka)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

"However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names. It is not so bad as you are. It looks poorest when you are richest. The faultfinder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man's abode; the snow melts before its door as early in the spring. I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there, and have as cheering thoughts as in a palace." --- Henry David Thoreau in WALDEN
########

HONOUR BEFORE MONEY

ReplyQuote
vicpandal
(@vicpandal)
Trusted Member

Gunman's Reckoning, Max Brand. One of those tales I could not stop reading. Excellent story line, great dialog, well written with fascinating characters that drive the story. Railroad tramp and feared combatant, Donnegan, abandons his mysterious quest and transforms himself in a few days, acquiring the means in the most intriguing manner to best serve the young lady who has entered his life. Hiding his innermost thoughts and emotions with superior competence, Donnegan seems well-equipped to master both the environment and people around him, and sets out to do just so.

Gilbakka liked
ReplyQuote
vicpandal
(@vicpandal)
Trusted Member

The Untamed, Max Brand. An intriguing story pitting the supernatural strength and resilience of untamed Whistling Dan Barry against the vicious outlaws led by Jim Silent. Both Dan's naivete and superhuman strength and senses depict him as other-worldly. Moreso, his lack of interest in material possessions, his unconcern for consequences, and his fearlessness in the face of danger. An excellent novel, concluding the sixth and final story in Classic Westerns.

Gilbakka liked
ReplyQuote
vicpandal
(@vicpandal)
Trusted Member

Bacchanal, Veronica G. Henry. I picked up this novel because of the name which is popular in Guyana and the Caribbean for referring to a party, fair, or carnival. I was delighted to discover a character named Obeah in the beginning, although his presence was short-lived, because obeah is also prominent in Guyana as the English term for voodoo. An intriguing story, relating the ancient superstitions and mystical beliefs of Africa. The story line, dialog, and narrative are fairly well-written. I enjoyed it.

Gilbakka liked
ReplyQuote
vicpandal
(@vicpandal)
Trusted Member

Song of the Forever Rains, E.J. Mellow - 7/30/2021. A fantasy tale that incorporates enough of the ordinary to tell an excellent story of love, hate, and greed for power. While Larkyra and her sisters enjoy their magic, they also employ it in service of good, helping those in need. She soon discovers her magic does not make her immune to normal human emotions.

Gilbakka liked
ReplyQuote
Gilbakka
(@gilbakka)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Finished reading MY STORY MY SONG by Clement James Rohee. This is an impressive, revealing and candid memoir by longstanding PPP member, government minister and Party General Secretary. Read it, never mind its inadequate editing.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Dave

HONOUR BEFORE MONEY

vicpandal liked
ReplyQuote
Gilbakka
(@gilbakka)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Finished reading these recently:

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith

"Gold" by Isaac Asimov

"When Books Went to War" by Molly Guptill Manning

"Archipelago" by Monique Roffey

HONOUR BEFORE MONEY

Sojourner, Dave and Sir liked
ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@raymondo)
Member Admin

that's a lot of reading Gilly...my wife does a lot of reading as well...

She likes non fiction...or good fiction with engrossing story lines

She read the Fabulous Bovier sisters recently...also the Malala story

ReplyQuote
NOVA
 NOVA
(@nova)
Dreamer Admin

Gilly busy reading and learning while we Lagu bagu just wasting away we life. 😀

Good going there Gilly. You are what we would like to be. 😎

ReplyQuote
Roy khan
(@roy-khan)
Noble Member

Read about Lovett Fort Whiteman

A Black Communist’s Disappearance in Stalin’s Russia | The New Yorker

Roy Khan

ReplyQuote
Nero Prakash
(@nero-prakash)
Famed Member

Posted by: @raymondo

that's a lot of reading Gilly...my wife does a lot of reading as well...

She likes non fiction...or good fiction with engrossing story lines

She read the Fabulous Bovier sisters recently...also the Malala story

My mom did a lot of reading in her days.  She read mostly mystery books.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9
Share: