Notifications
Clear all

Colin Powell has died at age 84.  

Sir
 Sir
(@sir)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

CNN)Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape American foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century and the early years of the 21st, has died from complications from Covid-19, his family said on Facebook. He was 84.

"General Colin L. Powell, former U.S. Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, passed away this morning due to complications from Covid 19," the Powell family wrote on Facebook, noting he was fully vaccinated.
A source familiar with the matter said Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body's immune response. Even if fully vaccinated against Covid-19, those who are immunocompromised are at greater risk from the virus.
"We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," the family said.

Powell was a distinguished and trailblazing professional soldier whose career took him from combat duty in Vietnam to becoming the first Black national security adviser during the end of Ronald Reagan's presidency and the youngest and first African American chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President George H.W. Bush. His national popularity soared in the aftermath of the US-led coalition victory during the Gulf War, and for a time in the mid-90s, he was considered a leading contender to become the first Black President of the United States. But his reputation would be forever stained when, as George W. Bush's first secretary of state, he pushed faulty intelligence before the United Nations to advocate for the Iraq War, which he would later call a "blot" on his record.
Bush said in a statement Monday that Powell was "a great public servant" who was "such a favorite of Presidents that he earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom -- twice. He was highly respected at home and abroad. And most important, Colin was a family man and a friend."
Though Powell never mounted a White House bid, when he was sworn in as Bush's secretary of state in 2001, he became the highest-ranking Black public official to date in the country, standing fourth in the presidential line of succession.
"I think it shows to the world what is possible in this country," Powell said of his history-making nomination during his Senate confirmation hearing. "It shows to the world that: Follow our model, and over a period of time from our beginning, if you believe in the values that espouse, you can see things as miraculous as me sitting before you to receive your approval."
Later in his public life, Powell would grow disillusioned with the Republican Party's rightward lurch and would use his political capital to help elect Democrats to the White House, most notably Barack Obama, the first Black president whom Powell endorsed in the final weeks of the 2008 campaign.
The announcement was seen as a significant boost for Obama's candidacy due to Powell's widespread popular appeal and stature as one of the most prominent and successful Black Americans in public life.
Powell is survived by his wife, Alma Vivian (Johnson) Powell, whom he married in 1962, as well as three children.

NOVA
 NOVA
(@nova)
Dreamer Admin

Condolences to his loved ones. May his soul Rest In Peace. In my opinion, Powell made one bad move when he lied to the UN Security Council about Iraq having WMDs. Other than that he was a very upstanding person who was able to repair his standing from that one bad move. COVID-19 is a bitch. I still don’t understand why so many people are not recognizing it.

ReplyQuote
Sir
 Sir
(@sir)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

He is a TRUE Republican/ American. RIP.

ReplyQuote
Pandit
(@pandit)
Famed Member

My condolences to the Family A great man who made one big mistake.

He was NOT a Trump Republican!!

NOVA liked
ReplyQuote
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)
Member Moderator

Let him rot in hell ....the instigator for the invasion of Iraq that killed ten of thousands and unknow numbers of children.

https://www.iraqbodycount.org/

ReplyQuote
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)
Member Moderator

LIE AFTER LIE: WHAT COLIN POWELL KNEW ABOUT IRAQ 15 YEARS AGO AND WHAT HE TOLD THE U.N.

The evidence is irrefutable: Powell consciously deceived the world in his 2003 presentation making the case for war with Saddam Hussein.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/06/lie-after-lie-what-colin-powell-knew-about-iraq-fifteen-years-ago-and-what-he-told-the-un/

ReplyQuote
NOVA
 NOVA
(@nova)
Dreamer Admin

It is true that he lied to the UN but I don’t think he did so gleefully. I think he did so dutifully. Chaney wanted the invasion and even Bush obliged. I think they were all duped by Chaney.

Sir liked
ReplyQuote
Bunta
(@bunta)
Noble Member

The man was an over rated racist clown. He only got there because they needed a black face to hide white power as they took down a brown nation.  His politics blow with the wind. He was Christmas blo blo.

RIP. Goun soon forgotten 

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Bunta

ReplyQuote
Bunta
(@bunta)
Noble Member

Posted by: @nova

It is true that he lied to the UN but I don’t think he did so gleefully. I think he did so dutifully. Chaney wanted the invasion and even Bush obliged. I think they were all duped by Chaney.

It was Jewish power. All y’all still being duped. 

ReplyQuote
Bunta
(@bunta)
Noble Member

You Americans are so gullible to the Jewish media. Silly coolies!

ReplyQuote
Bunta
(@bunta)
Noble Member

Posted by: @pandit

Ayuh love Blackman as long as he cuss white man. Y’all need to stop being kak-suckers. Me know PNC mek ayah suh, but try to beat duh hubbitt!!

ReplyQuote
Sir
 Sir
(@sir)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bunta
Posted by: @pandit

Ayuh love Blackman as long as he cuss white man. Y’all need to stop being kak-suckers. Me know PNC mek ayah suh, but try to beat duh hubbitt!!

Go easy pon yuself, you are a by product.

ReplyQuote
Share: