Share:
Notifications
Clear all

US-based Guyanese caught with illegal firearm, offers bribe to police- Guyana Police Force  

Sir
 Sir
(@sir)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

US-based Guyanese caught with illegal firearm, offers bribe to police- Guyana Police Force

Last Updated on Sunday, 31 March 2024, 19:15 by Denis Chabrol

Tony Danraj Mootoosammy with the firearm and ammunition next to him

A United States (US)-based Guyanese farmer, whose local address is at Mahaicony, was arrested Sunday for allegedly being in possession of a firearm and ammunition without being the holder of a firearm licence, and offering a GY$500,000 bribe to a policeman to drop the investigation, police said.

Police said at about 2 PM Easter Sunday, 46-year old Tony Danraj Mootoosammy, who lives in New Jersey, US with his local address as Bath, Mahaicony, had in his possession a black Sig Sauer P365 Pistol, with a magazine containing ten live rounds of 9mm ammunition. The gun and ammo were reportedly in his right side pants waist.

He was, according to police, contacted at the entrance of the Annual Easter Sunday Horse Race Meet, at the Port Mourant Turf Club, Corentyne, Berbice.

Police said the man initially claimed that he forgot his licence in his van at home, but when he was taken to the Whim Police Station, he indicated that he does not have one and then offered to bribe investigators.

The Sig Sauer P365 Pistol, with a magazine containing ten live rounds of 9mm ammunition

“He was told of the offence committed and cautioned where he offered to pay the Police five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) cash. He was immediately arrested and placed into custody where he is presently assisting the police with their investigation,” police added.

Police said Mootoosammy was asked to produce a form of identification and he produced his US and Guyana driver’s licences.

He was then asked if he had anyone at home to bring his license or send a copy via telephone to verify and he indicated that his entire family was at the Hose Race Meet. It was when he was at the Whim Police Station and he was asked to arrange with his family members to have the licence taken to the station for verification that he admitted that he did not have any.

Roy khan
(@roy-khan)
Noble Member

This guy along with Clinton Bacchus had a very special talent. Procurer of Firearms. These guys are needed to maintain law and order in society. Let them be. The police can be a bunch of dirty murderous rascals.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Roy khan

Roy Khan

ReplyQuote
NOVA
 NOVA
(@nova)
Dreamer Admin

He is probably just trying to safeguard himself and his family. Things still rough in Guyana so I can’t fault him.

Sojourner liked
ReplyQuote
Sojourner
(@sojourner)
Famed Member

Posted by: @nova

He is probably just trying to safeguard himself and his family. Things still rough in Guyana so I can’t fault him.

Given the chance, I would do the same. My family and I come first.

NOVA liked
ReplyQuote
NOVA
 NOVA
(@nova)
Dreamer Admin

No doubt Guyana in better hands than the previous government but even this government not fully up to the task of cleaning up Guyana. It will take some more time and a lot more work to get things to where people don’t feel the need to always guard their surroundings.

ReplyQuote
Roy khan
(@roy-khan)
Noble Member

Every repressive dictatorship or racist government always tries to take away firearms from the people.

Roy Khan

ReplyQuote
Share: